Title I, the cornerstone of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), previously known as No Child Left Behind (NCLB), is the largest federal education program. Its intent is to help ensure that all children have the opportunity to obtain a high-quality education and reach proficiency in challenging state academic content and performance standards. Title I began with the passage of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) of 1965, which provided federal funding for high-poverty schools to help students who are behind academically and at risk of falling behind. Services can include hiring teachers to reduce class size, tutoring, purchase of instructional equipment, materials, and supplies, parental involvement activities, professional development, pre-kindergarten programs, and hiring teachers and paraprofessionals. Funding supports Title I School-wide Programs and Targeted Assistance Programs, depending on the level of students that receive free and reduced-price lunch in the school and how the school wants to function. School-wide programs are in schools that have at least a 75% poverty level, based on the number of children designated as economically disadvantaged. These schools have also gone through a one-year planning process. School-wide programs have flexibility in using their Title I funds, in conjunction with other funds in the school, to upgrade the operation of the entire school. School-wide programs must conduct a comprehensive needs assessment, identify and commit to specific goals and strategies that address those needs, create a comprehensive plan, and conduct an annual review of the effectiveness of the school-wide program that is revised as needed.
For more information about parent involvement, please see our Parental Involvement page or the Volunteer at NAES section of our website.
IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS BELOW
- 23-24 GVSA Annual Title I Meeting Presentation 10-19-23
- 23 24 GVSA School Learning Compact_English
- 23 24 GVSA School Learning Compact _Spanish
- 23-24 GVSA Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy_English
- 23-24 GVSA Title I Parent and Family Engagement Policy_Spanish
- CMS Family Engagement Policy_English
- CMS Family Engagement Policy_Spanish
- CMS School Learning Compact 2023-24_English_Spanish
- Right to Know Notification to Parents English and Spanish 2023-24
- GVSA Upper TSI 23-24 (English Version)
- GVSA Upper TSI 23-24 (Spanish Version)