• Enrollment forms for the current school must be submitted to the student's home school.

    ​​​​Documents needed to enroll:

    • New Student Enrollment Form (for the current school year and future years)
    • Birth certificate or other proof of age and legal name proofs of Mecklenburg County residency
    • Safe Schools Enrollment Declaration - (Required for students transferring into CMS)
    • Current immunization records (Complete record required by first day of school entry)
    • Health Assessment​​ (All children entering NC public schools for the first time must submit proof of a health assessment within 30 days of the start of school.)
    • Health assessment and immunization requirements for school attendance​​
    • Proof of residency

    Proof of Residency

    Before any student is assigned to attend Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS), the student's parent, legal guardian, or sponsor (legal guardianship or sponsorship requires additional documentation from a court or agency) must provide proof of legal residence in Mecklenburg County. 

    All documents must be pre-printed with the name and Mecklenburg County address of the student's parent, legal guardian or sponsor and must be presented at the time of enrollment for proof of residency.

    One (1) of the following documents must be shown:

    • Copy of residental deed or record of most recent residental mortgage statement
    • Notarized residency affidavit and copy of mortgage statement, deed or lease from homeowner/leaseholder affirming tenancy
    • Copy of residental lease HUD Closing Statement


    One(1) of the following documents must be shown:

    • Any one utility bill or work order dated within the past 30 days (gas, water, electricity, telephone, or cable)
    • Valid NC Driver's License or valid NC Identification Card
    • Payroll Stub, bank statement or credit card statement dated within the past 30 days
    • Current vehicle registration
    • Vehicle tax bill, property tax bill, W-2 or Medicaid card dated within the past year


    One(1) of the following documents must be shown:

    • Letter from approved agency (group home)
    • Refugee resettlement letter
    • Copy of Charlotte Housing Authority lease

    These documents are for address verification and must reflect the current address for enrollment or change of address. CMS has an appeal process for families who have difficulty verifying proof of residency, so students can be enrolled without unnecessary delay. 

    Call Student Placement at (980) 343-5335 or the International Center at (980) 343-3784 for more information.