At J.H. Gunn we believe that quality instruction and uninterrupted instructional time are the keys to building student success. Our motto, "Where Children Come First!", encourages the academic, physical, and social development of every student. J.H. Gunn embraces encouraging parental, community and staff involvement in making school-related decisions. Literacy development, a safe and orderly environment, and involvement by all stakeholders characterize J.H. Gunn's commitment to serving our students.
Great pride is taken by J.H. Gunn Elementary in the accomplishments of its students and staff. Students continuously participate and excel in various scholastic competitions. Teachers and Instructional Assistants are also recognized at the local and state level for their excellence in teaching.
At J.H. Gunn we believe that success for all students occurs when they are provided with:
- An enriching and interactive learning environment.
- An atmosphere of high expectations.
- A school climate which is nurturing and inspiring.
- A cooperative effort between students, parents, staff and the community.
- A strong focus on literacy development for all children.
- A collegial atmosphere where risk-taking is valued as a part of learning for staff and students.
- A character education curriculum designed to develop productive citizens.
We create meaningful change and confront barriers at all grade levels through:
- An appropriate and challenging curriculum for all students using the Common Core.
- Direct instruction time through flexible use of time and staff.
- Open lines of communication between school-home and home-school actively involve parents as members of the instructional team.