The new JM Alexander Middle school building opened in August 2017. The school was named after John McKnitt Alexander. He came to North Carolina from Pennsylvania in 1775, along with his brother Hezekiah. He was a tailor, surveyor, landowner, church founder, and patriot. In 1760, he married and built a home that he named Alexandriana, 9 miles north of Charlotte.
John McKnitt Alexander is most remembered for signing the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence on May 20, 1775, fourteen months before the Continental Congress wrote our nation's declaration.
The old JM Alexander Middle school was built in 1960. The school was built on land that was once part of the Alexandriana homesite. Originally, the school educated 9th graders only. The following year, it also included 8th graders, and soon added 7th grade. By the fall of 1997, it included 6th through 8th graders.