How to report an absence
There are three ways to request an absence.
- Use the button on the front page of the AK website. https://www.cmsk12.org/ardreykellHS Additional documents such as doctor notes can be uploaded here as well.
- The Absence Form located on this page can be used.
- Parents can handwrite a note explaining the reason for the absence. The note must include the date(s) missed, first and last name of the student, student number if known, reason the days were missed, and parent signature.
Any absences due to a medical appointment require a doctor/dentist/orthodontist note to be considered for excusal.
A student WILL NOT be considered absent for the following reasons:
- Field trip initiated by the school
- On a late bus
- Approved/verified college interviews/tours/visitations (juniors – limit 1 per semester, seniors – limit 2 per semester)
- Hospital/homebound (student is not physically present in school but is receiving school instruction from a CMS employee)
- Medically Fragile (student is physically not present, is receiving services from a CMS employee, and has a life-threatening health problem or is on some type of life support)
*Emails and phone calls are not accepted.*
*There are no early dismissals after 1:30 for the safety and security of our students.*
There are two ways to request an early dismissal.
- The Early Dismissal Form located on this page can be used.
- Parents can handwrite a note requesting an early dismissal. The note must include the date, first and last name of the student, student number if known, time of dismissal and parent signature.
- The student must turn the note in to the front office before the school day begins. An office staff member will approve the note and stamp the student’s agenda as their pass to leave class at the approved time.
- It is the student’s responsibility to show the teacher the pass and leave on time.
- Your student will meet you outside the front of the school.
The limit of approved/verified college interviews/tours/visitations is
juniors – limit 1 per semester
seniors – limit 2 per semester
Please submit one of the following for an excused college visit. There are several ways colleges choose to inform high schools that a student was on their college campus for a visit.
Acceptable college visit documentation is:
- a letter/note from the college that the student receives at their visit
- a screenshot of the email stating the date and time of your visit stating and that you attended.
Due to the high volume of absence notes received by the office, please allow 48 hours for your student's absences to be updated in PowerSchool. If attendance has not been updated in PowerSchool after the 48-hour period, please email Ms. Gilmore to follow-up if needed.
- Any absences due to a medical appointment require a doctor/dentist/orthodontist note to be considered for excusal.
- To request an early dismissal, parents must hand write a note requesting an early dismissal. The student must turn the note in to the front office before the school day begins. The note must include the date, time of dismissal and parent signature. The Early Dismissal form located on this page can also be used but is not required. Emails will not be accepted.
- There will not be any early dismissals after 1:30; please plan accordingly.