The communications team is responsible for maintaining effective communications within Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. It also serves parents and community members by delivering clear, timely and accurate information about CMS. In addition, we communicate the objectives and accomplishments of CMS so that the public effectively understands district functions and goals.
The communications staff encourages and coordinates news coverage with the media, arranges staff interviews and provides responses to requests for information to promote full public understanding of CMS issues, policies and accomplishments.
As a department, we:
- Provide timely and complete responses to requests for information pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- Produce publications with substantive and timely information.
- Support the individual schools, Board of Education, superintendent, chief operating officer and other executive staff in actively communicating Board actions, new education policies and procedures and CMS programs.
- Build community support for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
To provide timely information both internally and externally, CMS communicates using the following tactics:
- Media releases and advisories: Please contact a CMS media relations representative to add your contact information to our distribution list.
- Website: The CMS website provides daily news and information updates on policies, schools, programs and emergency notifications.
- Social media: CMS posts regularly to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Facebook page and @CharMeckSchools Twitter account.
- CMS TV: Stay engaged by following the CMS YouTube channel.
- CMS Insider: CMS Insider is a weekly employee e-newsletter distributed to all 18,000-plus district employees.
- Connect 5 telephone system: The Connect 5 telephone system provides CMS families and employees with important information on the district and information specific to their school or program. If you are not receiving alerts, please update your information by contacting your student's school.
Guidelines for Charlotte-area media
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Communications Department's goal is to provide clear, timely and accurate information about the district. CMS staff believes it is important to be open and accessible to the media to ensure the public understands district functions and goals effectively.
The Communications staff is available to coordinate news coverage with local media, arrange staff interviews, and respond to requests for information. There are media relations specialists and a dedicated media line and an email box, email@example.com to assist local and national media with their requests. The media line, 980-343-6243, is staffed during normal CMS office hours.