Facilities & Real Estate Planning
The Facilities and Real Estate Planning Department's mission is to provide project and process management services that address the facilities needs of the students, staff, and citizens served by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS). The Facilities and Real Estate Planning Department addresses these facilities' needs by providing comprehensive and effective short, mid, and long-range facility planning. Specifically, this team is responsible for creating and maintaining the ten-year Capital Needs Assessment (CNA), in addition to management oversight for all real estate transactions, construction projects, and CMS facility design and construction standards. We accomplish this mission by:
- Developing the ten-year Capital Needs Assessment (CNA).
- Comprehensive management oversight of CMS' construction projects.
- Developing and maintaining industry-leading facility design standards.
- Effective management of operational capital projects.
- Maintaining short-term facility space planning and programming guidelines.
- Estimating the anticipated projected cost of future facilities.
- Communicating the current and future capital needs to CMS leadership.
- Acquiring land needed to meet current and future capital facility needs.
- Continuously maintaining and updating CMS' real estate inventory.
The Facilities & Real Estate Planning Department is comprised of Architecture, Campus Planning & Design Team, Construction and Capital Program Services, Environmental Health & Stewardship, and Real Estate. Please visit each team’s web page for additional information.