Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) Driver Education partners with Jordan Driving School, Inc. to provide each student driver with the psychomotor skills and mental attitudes essential to becoming the most competent, skillful, responsible driver possible. In addition, this serves as a base for parents to continue the instruction and supervision of their young driver in developing the necessary knowledge, skill, and attitude needed to become a safe driver. Communication with parents/guardians is essential in accomplishing this goal. The curriculum includes:
- A state-supported program for all students enrolled in school, whether public, private, charter, or licensed home school.
- The course consists of 30 hours of classwork and 6 hours of behind-the-wheel training.
- It is required for any person under the age of 18 desiring to receive a driver's license/learner's permit.
- It is not part of the school day or school curriculum. However, it is considered a "part of school life."
- It is designed and dedicated to preparing our students for a lifetime of skills that greatly enhance their quality of life.
The Driver Education curriculum is an opportunity to:
- Learn current motor vehicle laws.
- Develop the proper attitude toward driving.
- Be introduced to the necessary skills needed for driving.
To be eligible for CMS Driver Education, you must:
- Be at least fourteen and a half years of age, but not more than eighteen years of age.
- Be actively enrolled in a public, private, charter, or licensed home school within Mecklenburg County.
- Pay a $65.00 fee as required by the NC General Assembly.
- Agree to abide by the Code of Student Conduct.
CMS Driver Education Department
Jordan Driving School
In compliance with Federal Law, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Driver Education Department administers all education programs, employment activities and admissions without discrimination against any person on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age or disability.