Pathways to Teaching

  • There are two primary pathways to becoming a teacher in North Carolina, either through a Traditional Education program or an Alternative program. No matter your route to teaching, we require that all Beginning, Out of State, & International Teachers become licensed by North Carolina. There are multiple license types: Professional Educator's Initial License, Professional Educator's Continuing License, Residency License, Career and Technical Education (CTE) Restricted License, and an Emergency License. Information on License types can be found on the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) website.

    Professional educators can apply for and update their North Carolina licenses online. Instructions and more information are available within the online licensure system.

    CMS has a variety of teaching, facilitator, specialist and student services vacancies posted throughout the year. Individuals can always complete an application and then apply to specific job postings of interest.

  • Emergency License

  • Residency License

  • Career and Technical Education Restricted Licenses

  • CMS Teaching Residency

  • Partner Programs