If a family cannot provide the district-approved proof of address, the family may apply for a Residency Appeal.

    Families must schedule an appointment to review their Residency Appeal application. In addition, you must submit the Residency Appeal form and documentation of proof of address.

    To schedule a Virtual Residency Appeal:

    To schedule an appointment, contact:

    Phone:  (980) 343-5335

    Email: cmsresidencyappeal@cms.k12.nc.us



    Before any student is assigned to attend Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS), the parent, legal guardian or sponsor (legal guardianship or sponsorship requires additional documentation from a court or agency) must provide proof of legal residence in Mecklenburg County.

    All documents must be pre-printed with the name and Mecklenburg County address of the student's parent, legal guardian or sponsor and presented at registration.



    1. Address changes are completed at the current school.

    2. Parents must provide the appropriate, approved documents to change the address. (listed below)

    3. If the required documents are not presented, the parent or legal guardian can submit a residency appeal.

    4. Please read the information regarding moving during the current school year.

    Please click here to access the change of address form.

    Proof of Residency Documents

    ONE (1) of the following documents must be shown:

    • Copy of residential deed OR record of most recent residential mortgage statement
    • Notarized Residency Affidavit AND a copy of mortgage statement, deed or lease from homeowner/leaseholder affirming tenancy
    • Copy of residential lease
    • HUD closing statement


    ONE (1) of the following documents must be shown:

    • Any ONE utility bill or work order dated within the past 30 days, including gas, water, electric, telephone, OR cable
    • Valid North Carolina Driver's License OR Valid North Carolina Identification Card
    • Dated within the past 30 days: Payroll Stub, Bank Statement OR Credit Card Statement
    • Current Vehicle Registration
    • Dated within the past year: Vehicle Tax Bill, Property Tax Bill, W-2 OR Medicaid Card


    ONE (1) of the following documents must be shown:

    • Letter from the approved agency (group home)
    • Refugee resettlement letter
    • Copy of Charlotte Housing Authority lease

    These documents are for address verification and must reflect the current address for registration or change of address. In addition, CMS has an appeal process for families who have difficulty verifying proof of residency so that students can be registered without unnecessary delay. Call Student Placement at 980-343-5335 or the International Center at 980-343-3784 for more information.

    Residency Affidavit - This form is available at any CMS school or the Student Placement Office

    This residency policy does not apply to homeless students, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Act.

    For more information about the CMS residency policy, call 980-343-5335.

  • Residency Affidavit (Spanish)

  • Residency Affidavit Form

  • Frequently Asked Questions - Residency Appeal Process